Sunday, January 10, 2016

XX2I USA1 Review

Disclaimer: I received XX2I USA1 sunglasses to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!

You would think that, living in Florida, I would have the sunny weather eyewear thing down to a science but I really truly don't.  Athletic sunglasses were new to me and there are so many options that I had no idea where to start.  Of course using nothing wasn't really working either because squinting into the sun just doesn't feel like a safe option...especially when you are running near a busy road.  When I got the opportunity to test out the XX2I sunglasses as a BibRave Pro I was so excited to finally take on the challenge of figuring out what worked for me in a pair of running sunglasses. I had no idea I would get lucky enough that my trial and error really didn't involve any error.

For me, the biggest adjustment in wearing these glasses was a result of the size.  I am used to oversize fashion type sunglasses so the fact that these were smaller (which obviously makes them far and away more suited to athletic type activities) meant that I could see the frames when I was wearing them.  This is obviously not a flaw of the glasses, but something that I had to get used to nonetheless.  A perk of the size difference was that they were (obviously) much lighter than what I am used to and sat much better on my face.

The nose-piece wings are adjustable on these glasses which made it easy for them to fit snugly on my nose without pinching.  I can be very picky about how things feel, so it is nice that I am able to make all the adjustments I need to get these to sit just right.  The arms fit snugly against my head but not are not so tight that I feel pressure or get a headache which is another frequent problem I experience with glasses.

So how do they perform while running?  I will say that my first test run did not go as planned because I was in the shade for the vast majority of it and had no need for sunglasses.  That said, I wore them on top of my head and they didn't budge which, to me, is actually a very important feature.  I constantly have my sunglasses on top of my head and I don't like when I have to worry that they are going to be bouncing around or flying off.  

When the sun finally came back and I was able to take the USA1s for a proper test run I had the same no-bounce experience.  I loved that they were so lightweight and moved so little that it was easy to forget I even had them on!

In addition to the fit and feel, I also LOVE the blue lenses.  I had never tried them before and just assumed they worked the same and it was a looks thing.  Now that I have worn them I love how the blue lenses work.  I find that colors are not distorted they way they are with typical black or brown lenses. They do a great job of blocking out the extra light without changing how you see what you are seeing.  

I have started using my XX2I glasses for just about everything because I like how they let me see so much more clearly.  This sometimes includes driving...or sitting in traffic which is more often the case!

So what is the takeaway? I am in LOVE.  I can't believe I went so long without proper running sunglasses.  They obviously block out the sun, but they are also great for running in the cold/wind because they keep your eyes from watering so badly! They fit well and stay comfortable while you run...unlike the growing pressure you sometimes get from glasses that don't fit as well.  If you are in the market for new running sunglasses I would highly recommend giving these a try!

Have questions about my review? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment