Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Try It Tuesday: Pure Barre




Since I moved to a new area with tons of things to do, I am going to challenge myself to try at least one new thing every week and post about it on Tuesdays!  I tend to get in the habit of going for the same run, eating the same thing at Panera, and taking the same yoga class with the same teacher.  While routine can be comforting, it isn’t all that exciting.  This is my plan to break out of my slump J
This week I finally got the opportunity to try Pure Barre!  Because you couldn’t guess that from the title right? I have been wanting to take a barre class for a very long time but they are not exactly easy to find in super rural North Carolina.  Yesterday I found myself with some free time and a way too busy mind and needed to do some sort of workout.  Florida mid-day is not exactly ideal for a run, so I hopped in to one of the two (TWO!) Pure Barre studios in town for a class.  The manager at the Dr. Phillips location was fantastic and made sure I was all situated and at least had a little bit of an idea of what I was doing.  She also let me do the class for the drop in price then I had the option to sign up for a month unlimited with the class price deducted if I signed up after class was over. (Spoiler alert: I signed up for the month)
The manager made sure the instructor knew I was new to barre classes so she took the time to make sure I understood some of the key lingo and gave me a few demonstrations.  She made it look so easy…I had no idea what I was in for.  I had read that is was a challenging workout and the “embrace the shake” term was not foreign to me.  But I honestly did not know my legs could shake that badly!  In yoga I can usually make it to at least the middle of the class before I start to feel a burn.  I think I made it 3 whole minutes in Pure Barre before I started to wonder if I had lost my mind completely. They use double tubes (which are apparently new?) that you put around your thighs and immediately cause your legs to work about three times harder than you thought possible to do something that is usually a piece of cake. Planking while tapping your toes should not be exhausting, but with the band it is insane.
Throughout the class the instructor would come over and make gentle corrections to form or check in to make sure I was feeling the move.  The whole idea is little tiny movements so it can be hard to know if you are getting it right until you do it once and it “clicks.”  I was told that it usually takes about 10 classes to feel like you really get it. 
After the class I felt completely destroyed but also fantastic! I could not wait to go do it all again J I might only be one class in, but I have my eye on the 100 club already!
Do you do Pure Barre? Did you try something new his week? Do you live near Orlando and have a recommendation for what I should try next? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment