Friday, January 23, 2015

What is healthy living?

You see the words tossed around all the time, and I supposed everyone has their own idea of what it means.  But what is this "healthy living" thing we all think we are reaching for?
I personally have battled a lot with this over the years.  I firmly believed that healthy living was being as skinny as possible...regardless of the measures taken to get there and how unhealthy they might actually be.  Fat was evil and the most unhealthy thing.  Anything to avoid being fat must be good right?

It was actually running that saved me from myself the first time, and yoga that saved me again.  At some point I came to the realization that part of health must actually be the ability of your body to do the things you were asking it to.  When I went to run and couldn't do what I wanted because my body was so devoid of any nutrition, I realized things needed to change.  I gained weight but I became so much more capable.  I grew happier too.  I suppose the thing we most frequently forget about a healthy lifestyle is that it needs to encompass so much more than just physical fitness.  It is getting enough sleep, it is properly nourishing yourself, it is being able to do what makes you happy.  Unless your weight is the source of your unhappiness, your weight does not matter if you are miserable.  Finding the things that make you happy and actively making time for your mental well-being is so incredibly important.  Sure it feels good to know you look good, but there are so many more facets.  Being skinny isn't so good when you can't remember what it feels like to really smile.
 
I love yoga and running, but you don't have to be able to run a marathon then hold bakasana for half an hour to be healthy.  In fact, if you can do these things but it brings you no joy, you might be worse off.

Some people eat all organic food, I settle for eating as few processed foods as I can.
Some days I want to run until I can't anymore and just lat on the ground sweating and smiling when I am done.  Sometimes I would rather practice handstands than go to sleep.  Sometimes I would rather stay in bed snuggling with my dog in the morning.  None of these thing are wrong.
It is so easy to fall into the trap of comparing yourself to everyone around you (physically and virtually). It is easy to belittle what you do when you see that others are doing better/more.  It is so easy to believe that you will be healthier when you can do what they do.  When we do this we so often do it at the cost of our happiness.

While each person may have their own, unique definition of healthy living, perhaps it is nothing more or less than waking up feeling content and well then going to bed feeling the same way. 

Sorry for the rant, it's just been on my mind 

No comments:

Post a Comment