Happy Friday! Once again I am linking up with Mar on the Run, You Signed Up for What?, and Eat Pray Run DC for the Friday Five link up. If you haven't checked it out already you should...it's a great way to discover new blogs about running and fitness :)
This week we are talking about running tips. If you are reading this and are anything like me, the idea of starting running is/was a weird and scary thing. You mean people just run...for fun? Where do I go? How do I start?
That said, I want to gear this post towards those who are new to running or are looking to start!
1) Get fitted for running shoes. Running is a great way to totally wear out your body in all the best, endorphin producing ways. It can also be a real pain in the...everywhere. Save yourself from the stuff that is 100% avoidable by going to a running store and having a professional help you out. This will honestly pay of over and over and keep you from hating running because everything hurts.
2) It's going to hurt. At least a little. But then it gets way better. I know I said shoes help, and they do. But if you are really wanting to push your body you have to go outside your comfort zone. I know when I first started I didn't believe people that told me about runners' highs and all that nonsense. I got to the part where it hurt and I was tired and quit. (Basically I am lazy yall.) One day I pushed past that and realized that after a certain point it gets better, then it actually starts to feel good. Even now I often whine my way through the first mile or two. But now I know that running feels good after my body gets going.
3) Find your people. A supportive group is so valuable when you are getting started (or when you are keeping going!) and it makes the experience so much better. I used to live in a really small town and a lot of my running "people" were online. That's awesome! Check out blogs and Twitter chats. Social media is an amazing resource and just tons of fun! If you live in a bigger town, join running groups. Meetup.com is great and a lot of running stores have Couch to 5K type programs where you can go run with other people that are just getting started too!
4) Ask questions. As a general rule, all the runners I have met are really cool people and love to talk about running. You asking a question might make their day. Mostly because we love seeing other people get started...and it's not everyday that someone willing sits through our talks about heel striking, GU, and what we use to prevent chafing. Fun right? All jokes aside, if you are experiencing something there is a good chance another runner has been in your shoes. Ask away. If people you know in person don't know the answer, go to Twitter! Hashtags like #bibchat and #runchat are super popular and a lot of other runners will see your question...and usually offer up great advice!
5) Have fun! With all the advice and tips like these that you will find on the internet it can feel even more overwhelming. Don't worry about being the fastest or being able to run far. Just go out and enjoy it :)
Are you a new runner with questions? Check out the rest of the blogs linking up or ask here!
Experienced runner with tips that I left out? Share with me!
Hope you all have a great Friday! The weekend is just around the corner!